We are now recruiting for the following roles:
- Development Specialists and Senior Development Specialists in the UK and Australia
If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities at SkillsForge please send a covering letter with your CV to email@example.com.
Please see more details about the roles below.
Development Specialists and Senior Development Specialists
About the role
We are looking for software developers to join our successful Edtech SaaS business. The role will work within our team to help onboard and support our clients as well as developing our core solution offering.
SkillsForge started as a research project within the University of York before spinning out into a commercial operation towards the end of 2015. It is a software as a service solution provided to universities across the world.
Our solution primarily, but not exclusively, focuses on postgraduate researcher and researcher support and management processes, massively improving transparency and automation. The implementation of the system within a university has been proven to deliver significant efficiency gains and large improvements in business intelligence. We transform the Researcher Student Journey with our solution.
In its relatively short life SkillsForge has won multiple awards including:
- Educate North & UK Leadership Awards 2017- the Innovation Award AND the University Entrepreneurs Challenge Award
- Tech North Northern Stars North East Region Winner 2018
- Entrepreneurship World Cup Finalist 2019
- UXUK Best Effect on Business Goals Award 2019
- Prolific North Tech Awards 2020 Finalist
- Top 5 CAUDIT award 2020
- Leeds City Region Digital Enterprise Top 100 2021
Given the high demand for our solution, SkillsForge needs to expand its team. We are in search of talented and enthusiastic Development Specialists and Senior Development Specialists to work with our Head Office located at the University of York Science Park. With a real passion and clear aptitude for programming and modern programming principles, in object oriented languages such as Java, you will have the opportunity to work on live commercial projects with our impressive Higher Education client list. Successful candidates will have experience in the web application lifecycle, have actively participated in sizable, complex software projects and have experience in Java and SQL.
You will work on different client projects, develop our core software and/or support our existing clients.
More information about us can be found at www.skillsforge.com.
- Good coding, solving application defects and critical thinking skills
- Ability to find simple solutions to complex problems
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organise yourself well and focus on the task at hand managing interruptions considerately and effectively
- Good time management
- Prior experience in complex software projects
Essential technical expertise
- Experience working on modern web applications
- Experience in using Java and SQL, or similar
- Ability to write code which is clear and straightforward to understand.
- Experience in maintaining code written by others
Desirable technical expertise
- A good understanding of the Amazon Web Services platform
- Experience in using helpdesk solutions such as Zendesk
- An understanding of business intelligence solutions
You will work directly with the team on a variety of projects. Some examples of these include:
- Working independently or within the team to develop new code, troubleshoot and diagnose application defects, performance and data anomalies
- Working closely with the team on new features, sharing expertise and knowledge
- Handling multiple concurrent issues and ensure they are responded to and resolved within SLAs (Service Level Agreements)
- Performing good quality code changes to applications, databases or configuration that meet requirements within agreed timescales
- Experience in agile development processes and systems
- Support and contribute to our Management Systems
- Communicating regular updates to the team clearly and promptly
- Being proactive in identifying and resolving issues
We believe in looking after our team with our current list of benefits being:
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday per annum plus 8 statutory holidays
- Customary holidays at Christmas time (this will vary each year dependent on when Christmas falls but should amount to around 2 days each year)
- Flexibility regarding working hours and place of work
- Cycle to Work CycleScheme and TechScheme (which enables the saving of money on purchases)
- Funded personal development courses and training activities
- Statutory NEST pension scheme
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter detailing why you want to work with our team to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will review your application and let you know if you’ve been successful or not. If successful we will invite you to the first of a two stage interview process. On successful completion of both interviews we will offer you an opportunity to work with us.
Equal Opportunities and Diversity
SkillsForge is a company that:
- Acknowledges, promotes and celebrates the diversity that exists in our society today
- Strives to ensure that everyone experiences a company that provides equal access and equal opportunities
- Challenges positively all discrimination in terms of culture, race, colour, religion, language, gender, sexuality, health, ability, age, socio-economic background and any other grounds or condition that might lead to discrimination